Virgin coconut oil is one of the healthiest and most amazing products on Earth. Because of its numerous benefits to human health, nutrition and beauty, VCO has already earned the popularity and recognition it deserves in the global market. This wonderful oil is one of the best things from nature which you can consume yourself or share to the world as a product. If you are planning to wholesale, retail or even buy virgin coconut oil for your own consumption, here are 20 frequently asked questions (FAQs) about VCO that you should know.
1. What is Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO)?
According to the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA), Virgin Coconut Oil is the purest form of coconut oil. It has not undergone oxidation, chemical refining, bleaching or deodorizing, and which does not lead to the alteration of the nature of the oil. VCO is one of the healthiest oils available. In its natural state, virgin coconut oil is suitable for human consumption without the need for further processing.
2. What does Virgin Coconut Oil consist of?
VCO consists mainly of medium triglycerides (MCTs), which are resistant to peroxidation. Unlike long chain triglycerides, MCTs are easily converted into energy by the liver and have been proven to increase the metabolic rate of an individual. The fatty acid composition of virgin coconut oil is predominantly Lauric. Monolaurin, which is converted from Lauric Acid, has been known to help boost immune system and fight harmful microorganisms in the human body.
3. What does Virgin Coconut Oil look like?
Virgin coconut oil looks like crystal clear oil. It is colorless and does not have sediments or yellowish color. When pure VCO solidifies, which is natural at 24 degree Celsius, its color becomes pure white.
4. What does Virgin Coconut Oil taste like?
VCO has a mild sweet natural coconut taste. In contrast, coconut oil that came from copra or dried coconut kernel has a strong coconut taste, while refined coconut oil is tasteless since the coconut taste is lost during the process of refining.
5. What does Virgin Coconut Oil smell like?
VCO has a mild natural fresh coconut scent. It’s different from coconut oil that came from copra, which has a strong coconut smell. It’s also distinguishable from refined or deodorized coconut oil, which doesn’t have a coconut smell or which smells like the chemicals that were added to the oil during the processing.
6. What can we do with Virgin Coconut Oil?
VCO is a wonderful product, which can be used in many ways. You can use, distribute, repackage or sell it as a:
- Dietary supplement. VCO provides a quick source of energy for yourself, your loved ones and your customers.
- Health supplement. It is a good source of important nutrients necessary for a healthy body.
- Cure and prevention. It is rich in Lauric Acid, which produces monolaurin, which in turn helps boost immune system and fight harmful bacteria, virus and fungi in our body.
- Skin moisturizer and hair treatment. It contains antioxidants and vitamin E, which promote soft and healthy skin, scalp and hair.
- Baking and cooking. It is not easily damaged when heated to temperatures used in cooking unlike other types of oils which could be toxic when exposed to heat.
- Health supplement for pets. VCO is also known to provide health benefits to dogs and cats just like to humans.
7. What amazing health benefits can we get from VCO?
Tropical communities like the South Pacific Islanders whose diets were high in coconut for thousands of years have been proven to be fit and healthy in a study conducted by Dr. Weston Price in the 1930s. As the purest form of coconut oil, VCO is packed with countless health benefits, which your loved ones or customers will love.
- VCO provides immediate supply of energy, which our body needs
- Boosts our immune system
- Fights virus, bacteria, fungi and other harmful microbes that cause infection
- Helps increase the metabolic conversion rate of our body
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients inside our body
- Regularizes our body weight
- Helps burn more fats and prevents obesity
- Improves blood cholesterol level
- Improves our brain function
- Helps moisturize skin and prevents wrinkles
- Protects and strengthen scalps and hair
- Improves our total health and wellness
8. Are saturated fats in VCO unhealthy and can increase bad cholesterol level?
It’s true that virgin coconut oil is saturated fat. However the saturated fat in VCO is healthy and does not increase bad cholesterol level in the human body. The saturated fats in VCO are identified as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). Unlike long chain triglycerides, MCTs are sent directly to our liver, where they are immediately converted into energy instead of being stored as fat. This process can increase the metabolic rate and calorie expenditure in our body, which help us burn fats and lose weight. Read this study conducted by the University of Santo Tomas (UST) VCO research team in the Philippines to determine how VCO affects the cholesterol level in humans.
9. Does Virgin Coconut Oil have any side effect?
There are no side effects of taking VCO, which are documented. The only common reported side effect of VCO is loose stool.
10. How much VCO should we consume per day?
There are no official recommendations from health governing bodies as to how much virgin coconut oil should you or your customers consume each day. The general guide is to take one to three tablespoons of VCO daily, depending on our weight, physical activities, diet, and health condition. A small amount of VCO a day can be a good start to enjoy all its health benefits. A gradual increase of VCO intake is also recommended to allow our body to adjust properly. We also suggest having regular checkups with a doctor to monitor cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and other important body metrics.
11. How the best quality of VCO is made?
There are several processes used in the production of Virgin Coconut Oil. VCO can be produced directly from the coconut’s meat, milk or residue. It can also be manufactured thru fresh-dry processing or fresh-wet processing. However, the fresh-wet method or cold pressed method is considered the best method to extract virgin coconut oil since it uses no heat to retain the essential nutrients and antioxidants naturally found in VCO. The cold pressed method using a centrifuge produces a superior virgin coconut oil which has a pure colour looking like crystal water, sweet and mild in taste and has retained its natural aroma with a guaranteed shelf life of more than 2 years.
12. What is the shelf life of Virgin Coconut Oil?
The shelf life of virgin coconut oil is longer than most refined oils including vegetable oils. It is ideal for stocking, distribution and selling since it usually has a shelf-life of more than 2 years. VCO contains antioxidants, which make it more resilient against spoilage and rancidity.
13. Where should I store Virgin Coconut Oil?
VCO should be stored in a cool, dry, clean place, away from direct sunlight. There’s no need to refrigerate or store in freezer.
14. What is the difference between “virgin coconut oil” and “extra virgin coconut oil”?
“Virgin coconut oil” and “extra virgin coconut oil” are technically the same, as there is no official standard or independent certification body that distinguish the two. Some VCO producers are only using the label extra virgin coconut oil for marketing purposes.
15. What is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil?
Organic virgin coconut oil is a product that has been certified by a certification agency for adhering to certain standards. The certification verifies that the facilities and processes used in the VCO production meet the agency’s organic standards. However, organic certification of coconut oil doesn’t guarantee that the product is 100% natural and pesticide free, as certain pesticides may be allowed. On the other hand, a non-certified organic product doesn’t also necessarily mean it is not organic or natural. In the Philippines, coconut oil has been produced for centuries thru organic coconut farming as it has always been. To learn more, read our organic and fair trade page.
16. Where can I buy or wholesale Virgin Coconut Oil?
If you are planning to import, wholesale or buy VCO in bulk for distribution, repackaging, reselling or for your own consumption, looking for a reliable and trusted VCO manufacturer in the Philippines, like Koko Oil, can help you. You may visit our contact page for order and inquiries.
17. What is the price of Virgin Coconut Oil?
The prices of VCO can vary depending on the companies and their methods of production. Prices also vary depending on the volume of order and their packaging. To know our export prices for VCO, you may visit our terms and price page.
18. Why choose Virgin Coconut Oil from the Philippines?
As a tropical country where coconuts almost grow anywhere in its soil, the Philippines is one of the top coconut-producing countries in the world. Organic coconut farming and coconut oil production have been a traditional practice in the country for hundreds of years. This is why the Philippines is the choice for source of virgin coconut oil by top brands who import, distribute and resell VCO in different parts of the world.
19. How to Choose a Virgin Coconut Oil Manufacturer from the Philippines?
Choosing a reliable VCO manufacturer to supply your business needs is vital to your long-term success. Therefore, find a VCO producer who, will not only be your reliable supplier, but will also be your trustworthy and long-term business partner. Further, make sure that your future partner is a duly registered company, a socially and environmentally responsible entity, and an honest and transparent organisation with a strong adherence to quality and excellence. For more tips, read our article on How to Choose a Virgin Coconut Oil Manufacturer from the Philippines.
20. Why should I choose Leyte Koko Oil as my VCO manufacturing partner?
Leyte Koko Oil Inc. is a duly registered corporation in the Philippines licensed and dedicated to manufacturing high quality virgin coconut oil using raw materials, labor, facilities and methods, which are subjected to the highest quality standards. We’re a small company with a big heart for the environment, society and for our business partners. We just do one thing – to manufacture virgin coconut oil with utmost quality – and we do it with love!
Our virgin coconut oil products are produced using cold pressed centrifuge method to provide the highest quality of VCO for yourself, your family and your customers. Finally, we will be happy and honoured to welcome you in our manufacturing plant if you wish to visit us.